skip to primary navigation skip to content

Information for international students

Setting the scene

There are frequent changes to the rules affecting international students and graduates wishing to work in the UK so for the most comprehensive and up to date information you should check the UKVI (UK Visas & Immigration) website. In addition, up to date information on UKVI announcements on proposed or imminent changes usually appears on the news pages of their website.

Working as an international student in the UK:

If you are an international student wanting to work in the UK – whether vacation work during or after your studies - you need to be clear about the requirements and rules as applied by both the UK Government and the University. See the International Students webpages for how the UKVI rules are likely to apply to you as a Cambridge Tier 4 student and immediately after you have completed your studies.

The UKCISA website has useful additional information including a free advice line for students/graduates which you can use if you want to discuss any issues relating to permission to work during your studies or after completing them. EEA nationals and in particular those from Romania and Bulgaria should read the section on EEA and Swiss Nationals. Regardless of nationality, anyone considering starting paid work of any description in the UK should read the section on National Insurance and Tax


We aim to ensure that employers are well informed about the UK Visa & Immigration rules and regulations as they apply to international students or recent graduates looking to work in the UK, one way we do this is via our web pages for recruiters.

The slides of the most recent (Michaelmas 2019) joint International Student Office and Careers Service's briefing - "Working in the UK during & after your studies - for international undergraduate and masters students" are now available:

International Student Office's slides

Careers Service slides

Slides from the session for PhDs (Michaelmas 2019) are available here:

International Student Office's slides

Careers Service slides

Please note that the visa information in the slides was correct at the time of the presentation. Beyond this date please refer to the GOV.UK website’s Visa & immigration pages for the most up to date information.

International jobs

The Careers Service subscribes to GoinGlobal an online resource that contains a wealth of information to help you plan your international career and to search for jobs.

Visit the Working in Europe and Asia site to learn about Europe and Asia's top-rated graduate employers and see live economic data by country.

See information on the annual Careers Fairs held in Beijing, Shanghai and Hong Kong.

See also Returning to your home country to work.

Comparing international qualifications to UK qualifications

UK NARIC is the designated United Kingdom National Agency for the Recognition and Comparison of international qualifications and skills. It performs this official function on behalf of the UK Government.

UK NARIC can provide an official document that states how your international qualifications compare to UK qualifications.

The information for individuals who wish to use UK NARIC is here